Avoid Summer Brain Drain with our Summer Jump Start Program
When the school year ends, many students are occupied during the long summer months with day camps, swimming, play dates and vacation. Then summer ends and the kids go back to school and realize they have forgotten much of what they learned in school the previous year They are experiencing a phenomenon called "summer learning loss".
In fact, studies have shown that over the summer, kids lose more than 2.6 months of math skills learned in the prior school year. For kids that were already struggling in math, this means that they will start the next school year even further disadvantaged. And it's not just math. Overall, kids lose an average of 1 month of learning in other subjects during the summer.
Imagine if an athlete completely stopped training for 2-3 months of the year. You would expect that when they returned to their sport they would experience a lag in performance. The brain is no different. It needs to be exercised.
So how can you keep your kids learning over the summer? Here are a few ideas:
- Read together - Visit a library and attend story time. Find some books with topics that interest your child so they are really engaged in reading. Read the books yourself, so that you can discuss them together.
- Explore - Visit local museums, zoos and historical sites. Help your child explore the world in which they live.
- Menu Planning - plan your meal together, adjust recipes for more servings, plan the grocery list. shop together and read labels. These activities can reinforce math, reading, writing and organizational skills as used in everyday life.
- Tutoring - Studies find that a third party, objective source can be more effective with helping students with formalized learning. For children that are struggling academically, summer can be the perfect time to address it with customized tutoring programs.
- Play - Buy mind engaging games that focus on interactivity for your children. Encourage them to invite friends over to play. Some children are more responsive to positive reinforcement, so build a reward system into a game that requires learning, such as memorization or math.
Interested in improving your overall study skills? Maybe you're just looking to sharpen your mind over the summer break from school. Whatever the reason, Tutor Doctor offers study skills tutoring and summer learning tutoring classes, to help you or your students achieve their goals!
Whether you're to improve your skills in Math, Science, English, or all of the above, you can trust Tutor Doctor to help you hone your skills to their fullest. Why not go back to school fresh and prepared to receive your best marks ever?!
Call Tutor Doctor Brampton today for more information or to request a Free Consultation!